Training > The Interpreting Practice Session
The purpose of the Interpreting Practice Session is to provide you with an opportunity to interpret two pieces of a similar length and standard as in the relevant Interpreting Test and to receive written comments on your interpreting by a tutor who is an experienced interpreter and one of the assessors of the Association’s Interpreting Test.
The Interpreting Practice Session is offered in both directions, into English and into Welsh.
The Interpreting Practice Session will be held remotely using Zoom, with CTV Sound Studios, Cardiff, responsible for the technical aspects. This will allow you an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the conditions and arrangements of the Interpreting Test itself.
We would encourage and advise interpreters wishing to take the Interpreting Test to take advantage of this opportunity in order to prepare thoroughly for the Interpreting Test. Although interpreters will have experience of interpreting in Zoom and in live situations, the conditions of the Interpreting Test are different. Having said that, it is not compulsory to undertake the Interpreting Practice Session, but it could be to your advantage to understand the technical demands.
Amongst the other benefits of undertaking the Interpreting Practice Session:
- you will have the opportunity to listen to yourself interpreting, which is rare for an interpreter, and a valuable aspect of the training.
- you will have a better understanding of your strengths and weaknesses as an interpreter, and will have been given guidance to those aspects of the craft that you can improve.
- you can decide if you are ready to take the Association’s Interpreting Test.
The Interpreting Practice SessionTuesday, 23 November 2021
The closing date for registration will be 12pm on 5 November 2021.
• No more than 8 interpreters will be registered for each Interpreting Practice Session. We, therefore, recommend that you register and pay as soon as possible, and do not leave it until the last minute, as places will be allocated on a first come basis.
The fees for one Interpreting Practice Session* are:
- £120.00 to members.
- £140.00 to non-members.
* Undertaking the Interpreting Practice Session into English and the Interpreting Practice Session into Welsh on the same day will count as doing two Interpreting Practice Sessions.
The documentation is only available in Welsh.