The aim of Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru, is to uphold, ensure and promote professional standards in translation and interpretation and to improve, advance and develop translators and interpreters' skill base and knowledge.
Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru, is the only professional association for English/Welsh translators and interpreters and succeeds in realising its aim in a number of ways including:
- increasing our membership in order to represent more and more translators and interpreters;
- running membership examinations in translation and tests in interpreting;
- promoting professional development for translators and interpreters through our varied programme of workshops and developing Balchder Crefft, our Continuous Professional Development scheme;
- maintaining relationships with Higher Education organizations especially the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol;
- maintaining and developing our contact with other organizations within the industry and beyond;
- promoting and marketing Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru and its members.
Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru is part funded by the Welsh Government.
Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru has three categories of professional membership: Full and Basic for translators and an Interpreting Membership. Membership of Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru is via successful completion of its examination procedure.
On paying their annual subscription fee, members make a commitment to adhere to the Code of Professional Conduct of Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru which also has a complaints procedure. Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru also offers, for a fee, a Translation Quality Assessment Service.
Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru also has categores of affiliation that allow it to recognize translation companies, public and third sector organizations. In order to encourage and support students considering a career in translation and/or interpreting, it also offers an affiliate category for students.
Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru highly values the promotion of professional development for its members and prospective members. It organizes a varied programme of workshops throughout Wales. Members, through the continuous professional development scheme, Balchder Crefft, are encouraged to continuously update their skills and knowledge in order to offer a service of the the highest quality.
Members of Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru work in public sector organizations (including central/local government and educational institutions), in private sector companies, in third sector organizations and as free-lance translators and interpreters.