Offering an interpretation service allows you to treat each individual equally by giving him/her the right to speak in his/her language of choice, thus leading to a greater understanding between all.
When organizing a meeting it is important to ensure that everyone present may freely use their language of choice. This means ensuring that those who cannot understand Welsh are able to follow what is said by Welsh speakers.
The success of a bilingual meeting depends largely on the skill of the interpreter. Please bear in mind that interpretation is a specialist skill and that you should employ a professional interpreter with an excellent grasp of both English and Welsh.
When arranging a meeting:
- secure the services of a competent interpreter in good time
- hire appropriate interpretation systems – either from the interpreter, Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr Cymru, or from another reputable organization
- agree terms with the interpreter before the meeting
- give full details of practical arrangements
- send the relevant papers to the interpreter beforehand as soon as possible
- ensure that users receive guidance on how to use the equipment.
An interpreter will also be able to advise you on other issues key to the success of a meeting e.g. arrangements that need to be made beforehand and the instructions to be given by the chairman.
Finding an interpreter
Use the search engine to find a competent interpreter in your area.
Becoming an Interpreting Member
Information on the association's next Interpreting Test is available on our How to Join section.